We bought a 4x8ft panel of wainscoting at Home Depot for about $20 and a can of "Oregano" spray paint. I changed my mind about painting it black, and I'm so glad I did!
Instead of just doing the back of the dresser, we decided it would tie the whole thing together better if we also added wainscoting to the sides of the dresser, and I think it was a good move!
I then headed to Hobby Lobby to shop for some knobs.
A close-up of the pretty knobs! ;)
We then took the table top off the coffee table and the table top off the dresser and secured the coffee table top onto the dresser. The coffee table already had beautiful rounded edges and a beautiful wood finish, and since it was already the perfect dimensions for an overhang, we also have a little breakfast bar!
To enhance the look of the island, I bought a set of wooden decorative scroll brackets which I spray painted black and we used liquid nails to attach them to the corners.
Here's the finished product!!
We are SO happy with the new addition to our kitchen! It has really enhanced our kitchen in so many ways. We now have extra storage, extra seating space, extra counter space and it just looks prettier altogether!
Here's a breakdown of the cost of materials:
Ikea Hemnes dresser from Craigslist: $50
Coffee table from Craigslist: $40
Wainscoting panel from Home Depot: $20
2 cans of spray paint: $8
Scroll brackets from Home Depot: $15
Ceramic knobs from Hobby Lobby: $16
Total Cost: $149
Total savings from the island I actually wanted: $150!!
And the original one I wanted is actually not as cute and does not have a breakfast bar. I would have also missed out on the personal satisfaction of creating something myself ;)








No comments:
Post a Comment